Climate Change Impact on Water Well- Latrine Distance

13.3k views

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Climate Change Impact on Water Well- Latrine Distance

Dear Ms. Colette,

That is a interesting document. As this is a working document, I suggest, you send it to the Asian Development Bank, the World Bank, and UNEP, for comments. Over a period of few months, I think this will become a major guidance document.

Yes, I have some comments, which I will sent you at your personal email, as you say.

Regards,

F H Mughal

++++++++++++

Note by moderator: I related thread can be found here: forum.susana.org/56-wg-3-energy-climate-...aper-working-group-3
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • CGenevaux

Dear FH Mughal,

At pS-Eau we've initiated some work on WASH and climate change since COP21. We produced a document on WASH services and climate change, based on the reflections from a working group. This document aimed to 1/ characterize climate hazards affecting water ressources and services 2/ identify the risks on water and sanitation services 3/ draw some courses of action for adaptation.

The work is still ongoing: we presented this document at several events including COP22 and we plan to gather our working group again before COP23, in order to answer the comments and feedbacks we received, and further reflect on the solution chapter.

Attached is the working document (in English and French) :
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

and you can also find it on our website : pS-Eau web page : WASH and climate change . If you have some comments on the document, you're welcome to drop me an email at genevaux[at]pseau.org.

Best regards
Colette

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

On the subject of climate change, I think, it will be helpful if Susana develops guidance manuals on impacts of climate change on sanitation and water supply facilities, and how to deal with those impacts (adaptation and building resiliency).

Susana may contact some German universities, or London-based WEDC, Loughborough University, etc, for developing the guidance documents.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

You say:

So I would say that if climate change leads to more rainfall in a certain area and more flooding, then you would probably need to increase the distance of the well to the pit latrine. If climate change leads to less rainfall and droughts in certain areas then you can perhaps reduce the distance.

If the distance is worked out under drought conditions, what happens if there is heavy rainfall?

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Indeed, climate change is a depressing thing that's happening right now with very scary consequences on many levels. :(

About your question:

I would like to know, whether the climate change will influence the distance between water source and the location of latrine.

The safe distance is influenced by many parameters around hydrogeology. We had a good discussion about the checklist of Working Group 11 here:
forum.susana.org/193-groundwater-polluti...f-sanitation-systems

Wolf, L., Nick, A., Cronin, A. (2015). How to keep your groundwater drinkable: Safer siting of sanitation systems - Working Group 11 Publication. Sustainable Sanitation Alliance
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2155

So I would say that if climate change leads to more rainfall in a certain area and more flooding, then you would probably need to increase the distance of the well to the pit latrine. If climate change leads to less rainfall and droughts in certain areas then you can perhaps reduce the distance.

What would you (and others) say?

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Climate Change Impact on Water Well- Latrine Distance

It is known that the distance between a water source (well) and location of latrine is influenced by the soil gradient contours and soil texture, among others.

Climate change is becoming a increasingly important topic, with each passing day. I would like to know, whether the climate change will influence the distance between water source and the location of latrine.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds