Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children (various countries, e.g. Tanzania)

19.1k views

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children

Thanks for the upshot.

I think, JMP guys should also do survey on their own, in countries where data may not be quite reliable.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

The data in those JMP reports is mainly from household surveys. The results of these surveys are reported by the national governments to JMP.
See Annex 1 of the JMP 2017 report here: washdata.org/reports ("Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG baselines"), or direct link to pdf here:
washdata.org/sites/default/files/documen...017-report-final.pdf

Page 56:
The JMP 2015 update drew upon 1,982 national data
sources, covering the years 1990-2015. 1,982 sources
were used to produce estimates; two thirds of these were
household surveys, with censuses and administrative sources
each contributing one sixth of data inputs

Hope this help.

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

The blog was helpful on definitions. And, thanks for referring me to the concerned report.

Is there any publication which deals with how JPM/WHO/UNICEF, develops the statistics? To illustrate my point, suppose the JPM figures say that 50% of the urban population in Pakistan has access to improved sanitation. My query is: how is this, 50% figure, arrived at.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• former member

Yes, does the blog answer your questions on the definitions? The beginning part should be helpful. And on the JMP reports you can't directly link to it but on that page that I linked to it is the first one - 'Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG framework'
Thanks,
Amy

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name AmyKeegan who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms. Amy,

The link: washwatch.org/en/blog/2017/07/12/countin...itation-and-hygiene/ leads to Stuart Kempster's analysis.

Stuart blog says; "The SDG Baseline Report released this week . . . " When I click the SDG Baseline report link, it leads to many reports. Which one of them is the SDG Baseline Report?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• former member

Hi all,

Thanks for looking at WASHwatch. We have a wide range of data on WASH access, health, education and international aid flows.

The definitions for improved/unimproved access to WASH are the old definitions from the Joint Monitoring Programme (WHO/UNICEF - washdata.org/) When they released their SDG baseline report this year the measurements were changed to the ladder system and water/sanitation access is now referred to as safely manages/at least basic/limited/unimproved. The definitions to what these mean are available on the WASHwatch country profile pages if you click on the statistic you want explained. Our blog released around the time of JMP explains these changes - washwatch.org/en/blog/2017/07/12/countin...itation-and-hygiene/

We update the website every 6 months fully, and when there is a big data release we will update it as soon as possible. E.g. the OECD has just released their figures for international aid flows this week and so we will be updating the website over the next few weeks. The best way to keep up to date with when we update data is to sign up to our newsletter here - www.washwatch.org/en/subscribe/

Thanks,
Amy

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name AmyKeegan who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for reference to this website. I was looking for definitions - improved; unimproved - but could not find them. Can you help?

Will the data and statistics on this site be updated every 6 months, or 12 months?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Mughal,

The figures about open defecation are easy to find for each country.
Just go to www.washwatch.org then "countries" then "statistics". So for Tanzania it's 11% who do open defecation. Quite low, actually. See here:
washwatch.org/en/countries/tanzania/summary/statistics/

Oh wait, I just realised the same page also gives basic data on health! That's great. So on the same page it says the % of Stunting in Children Under 5 in the year 2014 was 35%. That's a high figure.

So I am glad that you asked because now I have learned that more information than I previously thought is available on wachwatch.org which is run by WaterAid (more info about washwatch is here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/183-monitoring-and-eval...nitation-and-hygiene )

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Re: Reply: Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children

The Issue of Stunting

According to UNICEF report ‘Tanzania made significant progress in improving nutrition among children under 5 years of age 1992-2015’ on the issue of stunting it shows that,Significant progress was made in the nutritional status of children under 5 years of age between 1992 and 2015. Stunting or chronic malnutrition decreased from 50 to 34 per cent, acute malnutrition from 7 to 5 per cent and underweight from 24 to 14 per cent.

• Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Re: Reply: Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children

The following are the description of the status of Sanitation as well the program that undertaken by the government (Tanzania National Sanitation Campaign (NSC 1 and II) to deal with sanitation problem in Tanzania
Despite significant past efforts such as Mtu ni Afya campaigns to promote improved sanitation facilities most rural areas have limited access to improved sanitation and hygiene facilities. The country reached a high level of latrine coverage (90%) during the Mtu ni Afya campaign of the 1970s; but there has been very little subsequent progress to move the population up the sanitation ladder, from unimproved to improved latrines. Records show that only 43% of rural inhabitants had access to an improved latrine in 2008. Similarly, utmost 10% of all Tanzanians wash their hands after cleaning a babies’ bottom. Consequently, diarrheal diseases comprise about 70% of diseases reported from health clinics[1]. The latrine coverage has declined to 25% in 2015 even after implementation of the first phase of the National Sanitation Campaign (NSC) under the Water Sector Development Programme (WSDP) (2011-2015)[2].The same study found that although more than 86% of Tanzania have adequate awareness of the value of the of the improved sanitation and risks associated with open defecation this has not stimulated adoption of improved sanitation and hygiene facilities. This suggests the need to identify all multiple behavioural drivers and integrate them in the phase II of the NSC and other subsequent sanitation and hygiene interventions

3Various Authors (2016). Process evaluation of the national sanitation campaign of Tanzania. London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Sanitation and Hygiene Applied Research for Equity (SHARE). Accessed on the internet [www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2526] 20/02/2017

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Mr. Charles,

Can you share with us the data on stunting in Tanzania? Also, what is the percentage of open defecation (OD) in Tanzania, and how the government is solving the problem of OD?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Mnyororo

Very interested thing you have shared with us,

In Tanzania also we are fighting against poor sanitation and hygiene practices, there some of the media are now promoting good practices on sanitation and hygiene in order to disseminate information all over the country, their most emphasizing on the community to prioritize construction of improved toilets at they are household level and use it effectively, also placing hand washing facilities and soap out on their toilets and use it for hand washing once they come from toilets (Clouds Media).

Also Sanitation and Hygiene promotion has become as a common agenda in Tanzania, most official gathering of community, sanitation and hygiene had have been addressing to the community, this shows the effort ensuring sanitation require special attention to achieve the goal of reaching ODF all over the country even if will take a long time

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds