Using Diatoms to remove Ammonia and as a food source for fish.

Page selection:
  • Bhaskar
  • Clean technology promoter

Re: Using Diatoms to remove Ammonia and as a food source for fish.

To clarify a few points -
A little bit of engineering would be required depending on the nature of the effluent.
If it is only domestic sewage, with little industrial effluent, then it would be very easy to use it to grow fish.

If a lot of industrial effluent is mixed in then the water may contain heavy metals, etc. and these may enter the food chain if fish are grown.

A two tank / pond or three tank / pond system can be used to treat the effluent in stages to bring it to a quality in which fish can be grown.

Or if the diatoms are grown in one pond and harvested and transferred to a fish pond, the cost of harvesting would have to be factored in.
Clean technology promoter.

I am working on a clean technology product to grow Diatom Algae in large waterways. Diatoms account for about 25% of all photosynthesis on Earth and hence are the best solution to consume CO2, N and P and oxygenate water and feed fish.

I am a Chartered Accountant but am now an entrepreneur focussed on clean technology.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • kelldigest
    Topic Author

Using Diatoms to remove Ammonia and as a food source for fish.

We have been having a discussion on another forum about the acceptability of fish feeding on diatoms grown in effluent from WWTP.

forum.susana.org/forum/categories/35-bio...it=12&start=12#11030

I know diatoms are plants. Is there any issues in terms of these fish entering the food chain.

Seamus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds