Resource Oriented Sanitation

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Resource Oriented Sanitation (by-products)

Dear Pieter,

I am happy to read from you on the forum! We probably saw each other in Durban although we didn't meet unfortunately. I also hope that people will use this discussion forum to continue some of the discussions we have had at the conference. I tried my best to encourage the participants...

Before I write more, could you please briefly introduce yourself? It would be good to know a little bit about you please.

When you say by-products from faecal sludge management, do you mean those products used in agriculture (or also e.g. pellets for burning at cement plants)?

The factsheet of the SuSanA Working Group 5 gives quite a nice overview on productive sanitation (see here: www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=101).

The ones that come to mind for me are:
In agriculture:
  • Urine
  • Dried faeces
  • Composted faeces (with urine added to the compost heap)
  • Struvite
  • Dried faecal sludge (after drying beds)
  • Pasteurised faecal sludge pellets from the LaDePa plant (see elsewhere in this forum)

For energy:
  • pellets for energy production by burning
  • biogas

Researchy things (I can't see this happening in real life):
  • hydrogen production

Others:
  • Black soldier fly larvae

I am sure I have forgotten some more?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • pietercrous
  • Topic Author

Resource Oriented Sanitation

Good day all,

I was a part of the Faecal Sludge Management conference held (this week) in Durban. It was there that I was first introduced to the SuSana forums. Please do excuse me if this topic has already been posted elsewhere on the forum.

There was a lot of discussion about the potential reuse of human excreta at FSM2, which in itself is not a new discussion. But I was amazed at all of the different byproducts people are developing. Some technologies have already been developed and are already in used, while others are blue sky projects still in the R&D stage. My question is, what are ALL of the potential byproducts from faecal sludge (and urine) and how viable are the technologies to bring them to market?

I think such a forum is the perfect place to collate all of the byproducts and discuss their current availability (or ETA), viability, and potential of producing these byproducts in different markets.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds