Your opinion about forum category icon for attitudes and behaviours? (and all category icons)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Your opinion about new icon for attitudes and behaviours?

Hi there,

OK, so now the plan is that the new icons will look like this in their simplified and stream-lined version:

Hygiene, health and schools:

The blue icon for sanitation systems stays the same:

Attitudes, behavious:

Business, government:

Resource recovery:

Announcements and miscellanous:

Any last minute comments before Steffen implements this change in the next few days?

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this process.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Hajo, Doreen and Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions. Hajo, I see your point about the icons being too "busy" (Lasse also said that in his post). The scales were meant to represent the legal aspects.

But maybe it is better to remove them and limit ourself to two things per icon only:
  • For the health icon we should perhaps remove that graduation hat from the States
  • For the attitudes icon then perhaps Option 3 is better than Option 5 as it's less busy:
  • For the grey and green icons we could remove the scales
  • For the Announcement icon we can remove one of the "miscellanous" symbols.

Does that sound good?

I was hoping that someone from our member base would pop up saying "I am actually a graphic designer, I can really help you with this!", but this seems to be not happening... Or perhaps the icons are less important than I think? "Let's not make a PhD out of it"... ;-)

Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

• hajo
  • retired in Germany... but still interested in water and sanitation... especially in OSS... and especially in Africa...

hi,

I can imagine to have only the head with the brain: attitudes and behaviour are controlled/directed from there... it does not need further elaboration...

... and looking at the other icons, I felt also Business, Governance and Resource Recovery could do some sliming, i.e. drop the scale in both icons...

generally I would minimise the information in an icon, to much is confusing to me...

ciao, Hajo
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of a genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
E.F. Schumacher
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. :-)
Albert Einstein

• Doreen

Dear Elisabeth,

I like option 5!

Option 1 and 2 have too many things going on

Option 5 maximizes Option 3 and 4.

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi,

Option 5 is fine. The previous version with the head in the hand can easily be interpreted as gruesome.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Thanks, Lasse for your feedback about the icon, I appreciate that.
I think at this stage I might prefer icon number 5, because it contains 3 symbols and that would match with some of the other category icons which also have 3 symbols inside of the circle (like the red one on health & hygiene, the grey one on business and the green one on resource recovery). Perhaps 3 could become our magic number. (4 symobls inside of the circle might be too many and too confusing)

It almost matches with your preference of icon number 3, only that it includes in addition a person who is running to indicate some action or some fear or some determination...

This is icon number 5:

Any further opinions from anyone?
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
Attachments:

• Lasse

Hi Elisabeth,
to introduce myself: this is Lasse, I'm a water and environmental engineer interested in sustainable sanitation. Just finished studying and trying to figure out which direction I wanna go...

Regarding your question: I prefer icon three, as the other icons seem a bit crowded and/or confusing to me.

Lasse
Lasse Roeder
WASH consultant at aliro-consulting (M.Sc. Water- and Environmental Engineering)
de.linkedin.com/in/lasse-roeder-48862569
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Your opinion about forum category icon for attitudes and behaviours? (and all category icons)

When we created the new categories and icons last year (see here ), the orange icon for attitudes and behaviours was not great, at it didn't show enough "action" or "activity" (behaviour) in my opinion - only the hand but it looked like the hand was holding the head up.

This is the current icon:

I am currently working with Steffen, Trevor and Shobana to come up with something better. We have some icon ideas, see below, to symbolise better the "behaviour" and action part.

Could you please help us by pointing out which of the options you like best or if you have better ideas?

The two most helpful posts in this thread (or submissions by e-mail) will receive a PATH toilet caleander for 2015, containing two photos by SuSanA members, each! :-)

So please give this a quick thought and tell us what you think. Thanks.

Here are the options so far (we are open to additional options):

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:

Option 5:

Thanks in advance for your time,

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds