Stabilising brick VIP latrines in softer soils (Zimbabwe)

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Stabilising brick VIP latrines in softer soils (Zimbabwe)

Dear Mr. Morgan,

I would surely go for brick work to support the latrines in soft soils, because, in the rural areas of Pakistan, usage of bricks is extensive. They are freely available, and at a relatively lower costs. The masons in rural areas here are well-trained in the use of bricks. Bricks are widely used in villages here for building houses.

As regards the ‘holding on,’ I think, this entirely depends on the workmanship and, the ‘quality’ of the cement-concrete used in jointing the bricks.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • morgan
    Topic Author
  • I am a backyard tinkerer (trained as a biologist). I have lived in Zimbabwe for 42 years, where I have worked, amongst other things, on rural water supply and sanitation.

Stabilising brick VIP latrines in softer soils (Zimbabwe)

Dear Readers,

You may be interested to read this report which describes an attempt to stabilise brick built VIPs in softer soils where the water table rises high in the ground at certain times. I am told that so far, after about a year, quite large numbers have been built in this way and are holding up well. As usual - only time will tell! Obviously the lighter the structure the better - but brick toilets are not light - hence the challenge.

Best wishes

Peter Morgan
Peter Morgan
Harare, Zimbabwe

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: mwaniki

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds