5th International Dry Toilet Conference 2015 - 19-22 August 2015 in Tampere, Finland - with SuSanA presence

34.4k views

Page selection:
  • Karoliina
    Topic Author
  • I work as a Develoment Finance Manager at FELM, a Finnish NGO working on development aid projects. My backround is very much in the WASH sector, I worked in the Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland promoting dry toilet technologies, ecological sanitation and nutrient recycling.

Re: Presentations from Dry Toilet Conference in Finland in August 2015 (Conferences, seminars and workshops)

Dear all,
Many thanks, the pages look very good! Do let us know if you need anything else and I wish you all a very meaningful Christmas!
Best wishes,

Karoliina Tuukkanen (Ms.)
Projektisuunnittelija
KIVIREKI – Kaupunkiviljelystä resurssitehokasta toimintaa 2015-2017

Käymäläseura Huussi ry / Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland
Näsilinnankatu 21 A 20
33210 TAMPERE
Finland
www.huussi.net & www.drytoilet.org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Presentations from Dry Toilet Conference in Finland in August 2015

Dear Elisabeth,

It's a very good idea!

You find a link at the conference page for 2015 now, too.

www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-m...t-conference-finland

Kind Regards,
Jasmin (on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat)
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Jasmin,

That's great, thanks a lot for uploading all these conference papers to the SuSanA library!

I am wondering if it would be useful to also place a link here on the conference page for 2015 in case someone is looking for the papers there?:
www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-materials-2/2015

What do you think?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Hello Community,

We've just uploaded the existing papers of the Conference. Find them here:

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2336

We'll keep uploading the other ones as soon as they are available!

Very interesting publications - let us know which ones you want to discuss!

Kind Regards,
Jasmin (on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat)
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Karoliina,
Thanks for your reply, sounds great.

I just realised that for the 4th Dry Toilet Conference three years ago in 2012, all presentations were added in the SuSanA library like this:
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1618

(just thinking: perhaps a link to your website should have also been provided?)

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Karoliina
    Topic Author
  • I work as a Develoment Finance Manager at FELM, a Finnish NGO working on development aid projects. My backround is very much in the WASH sector, I worked in the Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland promoting dry toilet technologies, ecological sanitation and nutrient recycling.

Dear Elisabeth,

Many thanks for your comment, which was very useful! We have indeed started to add the presentations of the conference in our www-pages as we get permission to publish the presentations from the authors. As this is a slow process, we have not as of yet put all the titles in, but hope to do so by next week (see presentations with titles here:http://www.huussi.net/en/activities/dt-2015/programme-19th-22nd-august-2015/conference-presentations/). We will publish all the full papers that we have received from the authors also with the presentations as soon as we can, but in the meantime you can find all the full papers sent to us from here: www.huussi.net/en/activities/dt-2015/dt-2015-full-papers/.

As to publishing these in the SuSanA library, I think that would be a very good idea and as soon as we have all the presentations in our pages, I will take care of that as well. I think the easiest way would be to publish the names and titles in the library and provide a link to our pages. We want to get the word around about the conference results and proceeding and hope to reach as many people as possible, and think that SuSanA is a very good platform for this, so thanks for the tip! I will also do the same with your conference materials pages!

We did also gather opinions from the conference participants through a questionnaire and can of course send you guys some kind of a resume of the feedback we got, but we would also be very happy to hear comments for example here from the participants about the conference. What was good? What would you change? How do you see the future of the Dry Toilet conference?

Attached you can also find the book of abstracts!
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Best wishes,
Karoliina Tuukkanen from the Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth

I found out today that the presentations from the Dry Toilet Conference in Finland are now available here which is great:
www.huussi.net/en/activities/dt-2015/pro...rence-presentations/

Question to the organizers: Are there also papers to go with the presentations and will they also be uploaded?

Also, I am always thinking about how information gets found. On the website you didn't provide the titles of the presentations (only the author names and countries). This is not as good as Google searches by keywords wouldn't turn them up.

What I would find ideal is if the presentations (or a link to them) are also added on the SuSanA conference materials page here:
www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-materials-2/2015

But I know this is a lot of work. As a work-around, how about copying the presentation titles and author names into one library entry and then provide a link from there to the Dry Toilet Conference website. This would ensure that if someone searches in the SuSanA library (www.susana.org/en/resources/library) e.g. for Namibia and there was a paper at the conference about Namibia, it would come up in the search. This would not take very long to set up.

On another note, can anyone who attended this conference point out his or her personal highlights (or lowlights) from the conference? I always find such a completely subjective view of a conference very interesting.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• Pakwater

Re: Dry Toilets as solution for drought areas

Three major areas of Pakistan namely Tharparkar, Colinton and Kharaan suffering from severe drought conditions need to considered for dry toilet experiment.

• Sandman

Re: 5th International Dry Toilet Conference 2015 - 19-22 August 2015 in Tampere, Finland - with SuSanA presence

Convenience is important for large demographs to adopt dry toilets. People should alto be informed about the benefits of dry toilets and saving water in general.

• ramesso

Re: Accelerating information on dry sanitation

To accelerate information on dry sanitation, there is need to engage the potential beneficiaries pretty early in their academic life. Children are very good at passing a message and therefore, if introduced to them at an early age, the probability of accelerating information on dry sanitation is high. Additionally, the use of graphics/pictures in participatory methodologies has worked very well. its use can enhance this.

• PaminFinland

Re: 5th International Dry Toilet Conference 2015 - 19-22 August 2015 in Tampere, Finland - with SuSanA presence

some crowd sourcing in the SuSana seminar - how to accelerate the use of dry sanitation systems more widely?
- avoid subsidies- people need to want the toilet - not just be given it
- wider dissemination of information - getting more and more people involved
- link to food security (productive sanitation) - gives a financial incentive
- people need to take responsibility for their own sanitation - perhaps by supporting their economic development this helps
- in emergency situations it is difficult - important that camp management understand the important issues. Good planning & security needed - especially for women and elderly to feel safe and have access
- ODF campaign important at national policy level - need to change everyone's attitudes!
- Behavioural change is based on good communication and participation - eg- COMBI, ensuring that it is important for everyone. People must see the clear benefits or it won't work.
- Link to school education - spreading the word
- use competitions - Best Dry Toilet contest in local area/village. Judged on cleanliness, hygiene, etc.
- CLTS - use care with shaming aspects!
- use of mass media to spread information
- dry toilet option for women during menstruation might be more acceptable in some families

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Re: SuSanA at the 5th International Dry Toilet Conference 2015

Dear All

as part of an exercise during the pre-conference Workshop of the DTC2015 we are going to use this thread to:

Capture main points of table discussion on “How to accelerate the use of Dry Sanitation Solutions more widely?” and post in the DTC 2015 thread on the SuSanA forum and then tweet the link to the thread to your network

I look forward to seeing the response that come in.
Kind regards
Trevor
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan
The following user(s) like this post: Sandman

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds