PhD programmes for students from Brazil?

Page selection:
  • CeciliaRodrigues

Re: Water and sanitation courses at US universities

Hi José,

Just came across an event organized by the ABCON (Associação Brasielira das Concessionárias de Serviços Públicos de Água e Esgoto) and SINDCON (Sindicato Brasileiro das Concessionárias de Serviços Públicos de Água e Esgoto) - 5° Encontro Nacional das Águas. I checked the program and I found a presentation that matches with your research interests:

Projeto PROBIOGÁS - iniciativas para o aproveitamento energético do biogás em ETEs, by Victor B. Valente - GIZ (15.08 at 15:00)

It will take place next week in São Paulo: www.abconsindcon.com.br/ena/. Even if you are not taking part, perhaps it's an good contact here in Brazil to start with.

The full programme: www.abconsindcon.com.br/ena/downloads/pr...macao-04-08-2014.pdf

Also, I am finding good reference material regarding fecal sludge composting at the PROSAB - Programa de Pesquisa em Saneamento Básico website. There might be also few things on biogas production from wastewater treatment plants.(www.finep.gov.br/Prosab/index.html).

Good luck!
Cecília.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JotaCarlos
    Topic Author
  • Mechanical Engineer by Federal University of Sao Joao del Rei, Minas Gerais Brazil

Hello Cecilia,

thank you very much for your help!
The partnership is over, it happened just once. But still I try to contact some professors/researchers at the UNESCO-IHE. I am still waiting for answer (It is probably because the summer holidays in europe B) Like, holy days :woohoo:

You are right, the theme of the Fenasan are more about solid waste. As I am focused in wastewater it does not help much.. But thanks anyway.

I will keep trying. A professor in Sweden has sent me an email. It is a bit (just a bit) out of my goal, I am analysing the proposal. He got in contact through a student that saw my post, so thanks also whoever it is.

My best regards to all,
José

• CeciliaRodrigues

Hi José,

Nice to hear from you. This partnership you mentioned was part of the 'Ciências sem Fronteiras' Programme. It was launched last year, but I can't tell if there will be a similar call this year. I applied and I got accepted by Unesco-IHE, but I didn't get the funding. It was for a full PhD programme, but I thing it would had been a better deal if it was a 'sandwich' for several reason, but specially to foster such topics in Brazilian research agenda.

I am from the governance side, so I am not aware of professors in your particular research field, but I can recommend you to have a look at the 'Sanitary Engineering' Chair Group: www.unesco-ihe.org/node/2495, you might also have a look at their staff's CVs. They can probably be of help!

It can be a bit off topic, but I checked recently the programme of the Fenasan (25° Feira Nacional de Saneamento e Meio Ambiente and 25° Congresso Nacional de Saneamento e Meio Ambiente). I remember reading something about biogas, but I think it was related to solid waste. If you feel like checking: www.fenasan.com.br/programacao2014.html

Good luck!
Cecília.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

• JotaCarlos
    Topic Author
  • Mechanical Engineer by Federal University of Sao Joao del Rei, Minas Gerais Brazil

PhD programmes for students from Brazil?

Dear Cecilia and Mariska,

I am from Brazil, Minas Gerais, and I am quite interested in doing a Phd at the UNESCO-IHE. I have just contacted Mirs. Jolanda from the Admission Office last Monday and I am going to send all documents for evaluation as soon as possible.

I see this topic is a bit old, dated 2013 (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...the-usa-or-elsewhere) but I would like to ask if there is still a partnership between CAPES and the UNESCO-IHE institute?
Could you help me find a researcher (to be my supervisor) at UNESCO-IHE who has interest in production of biogas through wastewater treatment? If there isn't, I would be glad and very satisfied to work of wastewater treatment in any topic.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Jose Carlos

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds