Akvopedia expands into Wikiversity which offers free learning materials (starting with rainwater harvesting section)

Page selection:
  • dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Akvopedia expands into Wikiversity which offers free learning materials (starting with rainwater harvesting section)

Hi Elisabeth

Regarding your question:

although it's basically "just" a copy of the compendium, and nowadays with the ecompendium available I am a bit confused if they are both pretty much the same or different (and which one to use for which purpose):
ecompendium.sswm.info/

The ecompendium is the offical online version of the 2014 edition of the Compendium (akvopedia is based on the 2008 version I guess). The page content is embedded in the SSWM Database and is continuously updated, corrected, expanded, compeleted with further readings, etc...
Moreover you have some additional features like a system builder template or in/out product filter for technologies from which you then directly can be directed to the corresponding sanitation system options...

So I recommend to use eCompendium.sswm.info

Cheers, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • joeturner

Re: Akvopedia expands into Wikiversity which offers free learning materials (starting with rainwater harvesting section)

Good questions, I don't know the answers.

I suspect someone behind the scenes must be continuing to monitor and correct the versions on wikiversiy to ensure it is not too divergent from the (expert led) version at akvopedia, but it will be interesting to see if there is much change on the wikiversity page.

My perception, which might not be correct, is that wikiversity pages are not updated or edited very often.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I am sure you are not in a minority, Akvopedia is very nice! :-)
akvopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Which parts of it do you use and like in particular? (just curious)

I have sometimes looked at the Sanitation portal:
akvopedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_Portal

although it's basically "just" a copy of the compendium, and nowadays with the ecompendium available I am a bit confused if they are both pretty much the same or different (and which one to use for which purpose):
ecompendium.sswm.info/

It makes sense to recylce one's efforts on different platforms (e.g. the rainwater harvesting from Akvopedia also on Wikiversity) if it means reaching other audiences. That's the beauty about open access that this can be done without any problems.

This is by the way how the rainwater harvesting page looks now on Wikiversity:
en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Rainwater_harvesting

Oh, I see it includes one of our SuSanA photos from flickr:

en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Rainwater_harves...ing_(3441547910).jpg

Nice. :-)

The same article on rainwater harvesting on Akvopedia looks like this:
akvopedia.org/wiki/Rainwater_Harvesting

Hmm, OK, but doesn't this lead to a doubling of efforts? If someone wanted to make an improvement, would they now have to edit both pages?
This is something I don't understand.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• joeturner

I'm possibly in a minority, but I really like Akvopedia, so it is a good thing if this is going to mean that it gets seen by a wider audience.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Akvopedia expands into Wikiversity which offers free learning materials (starting with rainwater harvesting section)

I saw on twitter that SuSanA partner Akvo is adding content to Wikiversity, a "sister project" of Wikipedia which offers free learning materials:
en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page

"Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project devoted to learning resources, learning projects, and research for use in all levels, types, and styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional training and informal learning. We invite teachers, students, and researchers to join us in creating open educational resources and collaborative learning communities. To learn more about Wikiversity, try a guided tour, learn about adding content, or start editing now."

Personally, I am not yet convinced how much impact one could have with Wikiversity. I have never used it myself. Does anyone on the forum have user experiences with Wikiversity?

I asked Akvo about this and here is the reply that I got:

+++++++++

Hello Elisabeth,

Apologies for the delay, I wanted to answer your question you had for Hans and I about why we are uploading to Wikiversity.

It's true it is not as popular as Wikipedia, but our content in Akvopedia is primarily "how-to" information, which is a better match for Wikiversity than Wikipedia.

Also, I was waiting for our blog to get formulated about our choice, thought you might benefit from it!

akvo.org/blog/akvopedia-expands-into-wik...ty-develops-new-app/

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Winona Azure

Wiki editor / developer
akvopedia.org

+++++++++++++

Their blog post is entitled:

Akvopedia expands into Wikiversity, develops new app

I copy the first two sections:

+++++++++

In a bid to open up our water and sanitation (plus food security) wiki Akvopedia to many more people, we have begun loading content into Wikiversity. To share our content even further, expanding our type of users, we’re developing an app for mobile devices.

A good match

There are a number of reasons why Akvopedia and Wikiversity make a fine pair. With an average of six million page views per month (compared to Akvopedia’s 40,000), Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project devoted to sharing all kinds of educational resources. We like to think of Wikiversity and Akvopedia as containing ‘active knowledge'; knowledge that not only informs its readers, but leads and enables them to take action. Akvopedia shares a similar structure as Wikiversity in that it’s free to use service is designed to openly share information. However, Akvopedia also has a unique niche worth sharing. With its low cost, appropriate technologies and other essential project management information that was historically difficult to share and access, our more than 1,000 pages of ‘how-to-do’ water and sanitation approaches and projects will soon be available to Wikiversity users. A survey of Akvopedia visitors last year showed that half use Akvopedia for academic research or teaching purposes, which aligns nicely with Wikiversity.

++++++++++

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds