Bacterial digester tech - Looking for low cost (>$200) new substructure design (Ghana)

Page selection:
  • MrMcDInWestAfrica
    Topic Author
  • Contact me. I like people.

Re: Bacterial digester tech - Looking for low cost (>$200) new substructure design

I was working with the company Vulpec.
Biofil is a different company using worms in their digestion. I haven't been impressed with them, but they have a well-operated company and the most exposure.

I recently found another company using bacteria in Accra here: davsarbiotech.com/about/

(In the delayed response time I was sick for weeks, quit my job, and moved within Accra.)
--
Project areas in Ghana: low cost sanitation facilities, selling hygiene products to rural and urban populations, M4D to repair hand pumps, waste to energy, plastic recycling
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Bacterial digester tech - Looking for low cost (>$200) new substructure design

Hi Cameron,

Are you part of the group of people promoting Biofil toilets in Ghana? Sounds a bit similar.

Could you tell us a bit more and send us some photos of your current installations so that we can help you better with new ideas?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• MrMcDInWestAfrica
    Topic Author

Thank you for taking the time to think about it. Oil drums can work for the housing. The ones I see here do have rust problems and I worry about seepage because of that. I'm not sure how to solve that economically. The modifications on the top (making holes) may require a lot. I like the structural integrity and availability. Something worth testing.
--
Project areas in Ghana: low cost sanitation facilities, selling hygiene products to rural and urban populations, M4D to repair hand pumps, waste to energy, plastic recycling

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

What about an standard oil-drum?
Put horizontally it has almost the dimensions you want, and it should be available nearly everywhere. Of course the metal will need some renewed cover to protect it better from rusting.

• MrMcDInWestAfrica
    Topic Author

Bacterial digester tech - Looking for low cost (>$200) new substructure design (Ghana)

Hello all - first post here.

I am working with a aerobic digester technology which relies on bacteria. The technology works very well with low odor, flexibility to be used with a WC or dry, and without dislodging. The current model costs approximately $750 for both sub and superstructure. We are now wanting to find the lowest cost digester and allow customers to construct their own superstructure with local materials.

The digester can be any size but ~1ft(deep)x2ftx3fx would allow the bacteria to digest well. The digester contains rocks, charcoal, and bacteria. The urine is filtered (very effectively) and discharged through a soak away. There needs to be a hole for a 3 or 4 inch vent pipe and another hole for input. We are looking into using water storage tanks, other plastic solutions, a tray system, using PE lining. I welcome any ideas or links to places to examine.
--

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds