Ph.D. thesis: “Operation of Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS) under tropical field conditions” now available

22.3k views

Page selection:
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Ph.D. thesis: “Operation of Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS) under tropical field conditions” now publically available

Dear Nicolas,

Thanks for posting your important dissertation.

I found very interesting the idea of never desludging the first compartment of an ABR in order to maintain the right bacteria.

It was also important to see your emphasis on keeping storm runoff out of a DEWATS system, as we should all remember this from the start.

It was likely there, but I did not see where the final effluent goes. Have you seen any cases where Subsurface Drip Irrigation of gardens and crops is done? Any comments on this?

Another way to greatly reduce the hydraulic load is to set up Waterless Urinals for the users and take the urine to fields as fertilizer. See my recent post:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories?func=v...679&limit=1000#16344

Congratulations and good luck.

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Nicolas
    Topic Author
  • Independent consultant on WASH in developing countries

Ph.D. thesis: “Operation of Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS) under tropical field conditions” now available

Greetings all,

it is a pleasure to announce that my PhD thesis “Operation of Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS) under tropical field conditions” is now publically available for download here…
nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:bsz:14-qucosa-185565

The thesis investigates full-scale anaerobic reactors of communal DEWATS implemented in tropical regions in order to consolidate the basis of future design and support monitoring, operation and maintenance procedures. Special focus is laid on the operation of the Anaerobic Baffled Reactor (ABR) as the core technology of DEWATS.
Field research has been conducted for over four years at numerous communal systems in Indonesia, India and South Africa in order to (i) verify the generally used parameter values for DEWATS design and operation, (ii) identify factors limiting the treatment efficiency of existing systems in the field and (iii) investigate the performance of DEWATS and DEWATS treatment steps (especially ABRs) under tropical field conditions in terms of effluent concentration, Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) removal, sludge stabilisation and sludge activity.

Chapter 4 has recently been published in “Water Practice and Technology”:
Reynaud, N. & Buckley, C., 2015 Field-data on parameters relevant for design, operation and monitoring of communal decentralized wastewater treatment systems (DEWATS), Water Practice & Technology Vol 10 No 4

Chapter 2.3, part of the literature review, will be published in a revised form in February by “Water Science and Technology”:
Reynaud, N. & Buckley, C., 2016 The anaerobic baffled reactor (ABR) treating communal
wastewater under mesophilic conditions: a review, Water Science & Technology Vol 73 No 3

Great thanks to all the dedicated BORDA staff and others who made this possible!

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me,

Kind regards,
Nicolas Reynaud
The following user(s) like this post: canaday, SudhirPillay, jankn, JotaCarlos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds