CLTS photo case-study - Malawi (Global Sanitation Fund and WSSCC), village near Lake Malawi

Page selection:
  • DaveTrouba

Re: CLTS photo case-study - Malawi

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the late reply to this thread -- glad that through investigative research you tracked down Kate (who has, sadly, now left us at WSSCC, though for a good opportunity at WMO). The photos and stories came out linked to recent meetings in Malawi where we also arranged field visits for folks on our Steering Committee and those from GSF and elsehwere. As an FYI I attach to this mail the field visit guide. I have also attached the latest GSF progress report, in case you haven't seen it. You might also want to keep the name of Okey Umelo, and his email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., in your records, in case you ever need any other information from WSSCC about the GSF, its support work, photos, etc.

Cheers! Dave Trouba, WSSCC
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests.

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Just to "close" this loop here:
Thanks to your hint, Joe, I got in touch with Katherine Anderson from WSSCC (who has since left WSSCC). She's the one who took the photos. She sent them to me and allowed me to upload them to the SuSanA flickr database and also to the Wikipedia article on CLTS (open licence, CC BY SA).

You can now find them in this set (and you are allowed to use them):
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/sets/72157650871109584

I chose this one for the Wikipedia article on CLTS (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-led_total_sanitation):

File Attachment:
Singo Katanga (center) has come to the village to raise awareness of good hygiene in a process known as ‘triggering’. She gets villagers to draw a map of the area, showing the main features like the road and the river. by SuSanA Secretariat , on Flickr

and this one:

File Attachment:
Now Singo and the villagers make the transect walk or ‘walk of shame’ by visiting the places they have identified where open defecation takes place. They sing ‘let us end open defecation’. by SuSanA Secretariat , on Flickr

I think the joy and happiness that usually takes place together with CLTS (e.g. to celebrate open defecation free status) is quite special. See also this photo:

File Attachment:
Webster and Singo bring the group back to the village meeting space in high spirits. They are energizing the village into taking action to stop defecating in the bush by building toilets. by SuSanA Secretariat , on Flickr

Thanks, Katherine for making these photos available!
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• joeturner

Dear Elisabeth, it looks to be a WSSCC project www.wsscc.org/gsf

I have asked them on twitter about using the photos on wikipedia

• joeturner

Yes, exactly that photo, Elisabeth. I think there are several very interesting things about that assessment.

Have you tried Global Citizen for contact details of the project? www.globalcitizen.org/en/about/contact-us/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks for pointing this photo story about CLTS in Malawi out to us, Joe.

You said you liked the last photo the most, you mean this one? Why do you like it?

And I thought that perhaps I could ask the photo owners if they would donate some photos to liven up the Wikipedia article about CLTS (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-led_total_sanitation), but I can't find any contact person or details on the page.

Does anyone know who is behind this (Malawi Global Sanitation Fund), is it UNICEF in Malawi and if yes, who could I approach?

It's actually surprising that it's so hard to get open access type photos about CLTS, given that CLTS activities are being done with millions of people around the world.

I started a new set here but have only one photo so far, donated by SNV in Ghana:
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/sets/72157649535971744/

(there are lots of other CLTS photos around but I am only looking for open access ones, i.e. the kind that can be reused freely for any purpose)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Amicky

• joeturner

Re: CLTS photo case-study - Malawi (Global Sanitation Fund and WSSCC), village near Lake Malawi

This is a photo case study of CTLS from Malawi from Global Sanitation Fund (GSF).

There are lots of interesting things here, but I thought the final photo was particularly interesting.

www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/a-villa...n-to-end-open-defec/

• rochelleholm
    Topic Author

Global Sanitation Fund programme in Malawi - Website Launch by Mzuzu University

The Global Sanitation Fund programme in Malawi is aimed at implementing sanitation and hygiene initiatives that will help the Government of Malawi to attain its vision of ensuring Sanitation for All in the country and its mission of ensuring that all Malawians access improved sanitation facilities, practice safe hygiene and re-use or recycle waste for the sustainable management of the environment and socio-economic development.

The programme will help in reducing Malawi’s open defecation which the JMP 2013 Update (World Health Organization and UNICEF) estimates to stand at 7% in 2011. This reduction in open defecation will be achieved through:
• triggering 3,600 villages and 274 schools in the six districts using Community Led Total Sanitation and School Led Total Sanitation approaches, respectively, and promoting the adoption of improved sanitation and hygiene practices;
• conducting sanitation marketing in support of the triggering;
• developing the capacity of government, civil society organizations and private sector actors in hygiene and sanitation promotion;
• supporting the planning and implementation of sanitation and hygiene activities at district level;
• documenting lessons learnt to help improve programming in sanitation and hygiene
In Malawi, the GSF programme is managed by Plan International who were appointed an Executing Agency through a rigorous procurement process. As an Executing Agency, Plan receives programme funds from WSSCC. The funds are in turn disbursed to various sub-grantees who implement the planned work on the ground.

Plan is an independent, non-religious and international non-governmental organization that promotes the rights of children. The organization’s vision is a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity.

One barrier to the realization of children’s full potential is poor sanitation and hygiene, leading to sanitation related diseases that in Malawi account for up to 4,500 deaths of under-five children.

Lack of basic sanitation denies children the right to health. Poor health undeniably prevents children from accessing such other rights as education, thereby threatening their potential to become productive citizens. Plan, therefore, considers the promotion of sanitation hygiene as one key for ensuring that children live full lives. It is for this reason that with the Global Sanitation Fund support, Plan Malawi is committed to ensuring that children live in communities that are open defecation free and where a minimum of basic sanitation is provided.

On November 15, 2013 at the Sunbird Capital Hotel, Lilingowe, the Malawi Global Sanitation Fund Programme Website Launch took place in advance of World Toilet Day. Mzuzu University Centre of Excellence in Water and Sanitation had a key role in the development of this website for the Government, and we invite partners to visit the website towards helping attain sanitation for all in Malawi.

www.gsfmalawi.org
Rochelle Holm, Ph.D., PMP
Mzuzu (Malawi)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds