Submit your favorite reading about capacity development (WG1 topic) and win one of many prizes!

30.6k views

Page selection:
  • dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Submit your favorite reading about capacity development (WG1 topic) and win one of many prizes!

And here two random examples of weblinks from the SSWM library:
www.sswm.info/library/2813
www.sswm.info/library/8055
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Submit your favorite reading about capacity development (WG1 topic) and win one of many prizes!

Thank you, Jasmin!
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Hi Elisabeth

Thank you for the feedback and your support.

The wish update the training material section and to make it more easily accessible has been coming up over and over again in WG1 meetings and I had also made a few suggestions how this could be done. However, we would need more active participation of the secretariat in order to coordinate the reshape of the webpage section and the collection of up to date material.
A straight forward action would be to include training resources and training programme webpages in the library and tag it.

Regarding weblinks: I was thinking mainly on online resources. Especially in the field of capacity development and training there are more and more resources which are presented in the form of a weblink (e.g. the SSWM Toolbox, The eCompendium, the MOOCs from Sandec, the upcoming e-learning course from UNESCO-IHE in FSM, etc.). I strongly believe this trend will continue and even enhance.

Such resources should find their place in the library not only as "training material" but also for other topics.
You may have realized that I gave mainly examples of training materials for the weblinks, this is because the two issues are linked...

Greetings from Kathmandu

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Hi Dorothee,

Check out the library - only your suggestions appear now with the filter WG1!

www.susana.org/en/resources/library?vbl_...5D=&vbl_8%5B38%5D=38

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! We will work on them and keep you updated!

Kind Regards,
Jasmin (on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat)
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Dorothee,

Your four practical suggestions for the library I fully support. This is what you had suggested:

1. Broaden the scope of the library in order to include readings and resources in general (documents, webpages, training materials, video, etc.) - we did that in the SSWM Toolbox and made good experiences
  2. Add an additional filter for training material where relevant to the content of the existing library
  3. Review the WG1 tags (filters) in the Library
  4. Invite WG1 members to share recent documents, resources etc with the secretariat to update the WG1 selection

As a straight forward first step I would suggest that the filter attributes for the working group 1 documents are changed so that if someone searches for documents with the theme of capacity development, they only get the ones that you have now identified above rather than all these 93, see here .

This is actually relatively fast and easy to do.
Once again, working group 1 is leading the pack - I think the other working groups will follow suit over time.

For people who are a bit confused what this is all about: In the SuSanA library (www.susana.org/library) at the top right there is a filter button. If you click on that, you can filter the library content by a number of parameters. One of them is to filter by working group topic. So far, when you filter for the WG 1 topic (capacity development) too many come up which are not specific to capacity development, really.

I also support your other suggestions about a better integration of the training materials section (www.susana.org/en/resources/training-materials) into the SuSanA library, and the addition of more training materials.

Also videos are good to add to the SuSanA library. Come to think of it, we had a kind of video library in the old SuSanA website and I think Enno was working on re-integrating that into the new website but I am not so sure now?
The old video page looked like this:
old.susana.org/lang-en/videos-and-photos...ource-material-video

But website links I wouldn't add to the library; I think that would take it a bit far? Or could you give an example how that looks in the SSWM library?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Hi Jasmin

Here are the missing links:

WASH Human Resource Capacity Gaps in 15 Developing Economies
www.iwa-network.org/downloads/1422745887...crisis-wash-gaps.pdf

Delivering Effective WASH Training: Delivering Effective WASH Training
resources.cawst.org/collection/deliverin...ning-workshop-kit_en

Cheers, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear Dorothee,

Thanks for your support and for compiling this list of important readings for WG 1!

These two links of your link were unfortunately invalid (are there parts missing?):

•WASH Human Resource Capacity Gaps in 15 Developing Economies
www.iwa-network.org/downloads/1422745887-an-avoidable-crisi

•Delivering Effective WASH Training: Delivering Effective WASH Training
resources.cawst.org/collection/delivering-effecti

The documents that were still missing in the SuSanA Library are now uploaded – find them here:

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2346

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2345

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2347

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2348

We appreciate your idea about including training material in the library and will consider making the access easier soon!

Furthermore, we would like to encourage all WG 1 members to send us resources and publications which we will upload to the library to update the WG1 reading section.

Kind Regards,
Jasmin (on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat)
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth

This survey was launched simultaneously on the forum, in the mailing list, as well as in a doodle.
So as we had over 9 presentations and a discussion round during the WG1 meeting and as the participation in this voting was not really high, I decided to post pone the evaluation of the outcome.
In summary, the survey has generated a list of XX documents mentioned to be important readings for WG1 as well as a ranking of those documents. According to it, the Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies has won the first prize. However, as the list got changed and extended over time, the voting is not really representative.
You can find a list of the documents below as well the total list with ranking in the excel file.
Additionally to the issues raised above, there some further points to consider as you also pointed it out earlier:
  • The list contains documents, that are currently not part of the SuSanA Library
  • It also contains web-based readings and resources
  • The course list is hopelessly outdated
As already mentioned, we did not take time during the meeting in Stockholm, to further discuss this list. However, we discussed additional WG1 resources (such as the MOOCs from Eawag, or Cap-Nets virtual Campus). See a short reporting here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...ugust-feedback#15031
There was also a common understanding that the WG1 presence and features available on the webpage could be improved (I am actually not sure if we still got our WG1 space with the contact list etc, I appreciated that section quite a lot). One suggestion was to update the training material section on the webpage (www.susana.org/en/resources/training-materials).
Personally I also see a need to rework the WG1 tags in the library (see here ). I personally have problems to see a clear pattern how documents got into this section.
So for the future I suggest 4 things:
  1. Broaden the scope of the library in order to include readings and resources in general (documents, webpages, training materials, video, etc.) - we did that in the SSWM Toolbox and made good experiences
  2. Add an additional filter for training material where relevant to the content of the existing library
  3. Review the WG1 tags (filters) in the Library
  4. Invite WG1 members to share recent documents, resources etc with the secretariat to update the WG1 selection
We can then see how the response is. I have the feeling that most of WG1 members are actually consumers and that there is only a handful of providers such as CAWST, SEI, Eawag, Seecon, Cap-Net, etc, which on the other hand have very useful resources for the the consumer side. So little feedback on voting and requests for documents is not necessarily a bad sign, but we need to invest and make sure that we get the relevant resources from the ‘provider-side’ into this selection. To this, I would need some support from the secretariat or any other volunteer :)

Cheers, Dorothee

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
WG1 Co-lead

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Dorothee,

What came out of your interesting initiative of "Submit your favorite reading about capacity development (WG1 topic) and win one of many prizes!"?

Were you able to consolidate a (short) list of readings for this working group?

And - most importantly - who won the prestigous prizes?? ;)

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. Thanks for the minutes from the Working Group 1 meeting in Stockholm in August which you posted here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...ugust-feedback#15031

Did you also discuss the list of readings at that meeting? I didn't see anything about it in the minutes.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear Sandy

Thanks for your input.
I think your suggestion of splitting capacity development into two parts (UNDP):

-functional capacities (organizational, management capacities)
-technical capacities (e.g., WASH topics)

is a good start to structure the collection of these various documents and also well reflects the different scope of interest of WG1 members and contributors.

I am currently sitting in the SuSanA Meeting in Stockholm where we having a great discussion on the importance of strengthen capacity development of civil society to put pressure on their government to implementing the human right to sanitaiton and to contribute to monitoring of the SDGs through innovative community-based data collection systems.
You can follow the discussion on twitter #20susana

To be followed up :)
Will also feed in these inputs into the WG1 meeting....

Cheers, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• former member

Thanks Dorothee,

Hello all, I am Sandy Davis, I work with CAWST. We do capacity development, working with partners around the world to increase their technical WASH capacity, organizational and project management capacity. We also help WASH implementers effectively increase the capacity of communities and individuals they work with. Sorry I took so long to post on this thread.

Dorothee and I were also briefly discussing having more documents on the reading list relating to How To Do Capacity Building, rather than primarily technical WASH resources. I had suggested the CAWST Delivering Effective WASH Training. I recognize that training workshops/courses are only one type of capacity building, but I think this is a good resource for organizations who are delivering training.

Other resources I have come across that address How To Do Capacity Building include the following. I would be interested if anyone has any experience with these, or any other suggestions.

UNDP (2009). Capacity Development: A Primer. www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librar...t-a-undp-primer.html

UNDP (2008). Capacity Development Pracitce Note.
www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librar...t-practice-note.html

UNDP (2008). Capacity Assessment Pracitce Note. www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librar...t-practice-note.html

UNDP (2011). Practitioner's Guide: Capacity Development for Environmental Sustainability. www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librar...evelopment/cdes.html

EuropeAid (2010). Toolkit for Capacity Development. capacity4dev.ec.europa.eu/t-and-m-series...ity-development-2010

In terms of online training, there is a lot on the internet and courses offered by colleges about how to do effective webinars, how to design online training courses, etc. But I am not sure if this is what WG1 wants to focus on regarding this topic. Are people looking for information on How To Design Online training, or for a list/directory of online WASH training? I would suspect most people are looking for the latter. I think the GTO/SuSanA document (2014) Wash ePaper on WASH Capacity Development is a good start. (www.susana.org/es/recursos/biblioteca/details/2258)

Perhaps WG1 could use the SuSanA "Training Materials" page, and include training opportunities on this page, in addition to the packages of training materials provided by institutions, which is there currently.

CAWST is also currently drafting a technical brief on capacity development in the context of small-med scale, on-site WASH implementation. While it will not be ready by the Stockholm session, when it is finished (by the end of the year), we would be happy to share it with you.

Another point that may be interesting to define, is what type of capacity WG1 is focused on. I like the idea (UNDP) of splitting capacity development into two parts, both important but a nice distinction:
-functional capacities (organizational, management capacities)
-technical capacities (e.g., WASH topics)

Both of these types of capacity can apply to individuals, communities, and organizations. Most of the technical resources recommended for the reading list deal with type 2 - technical. Is this what we want to focus on, or do we want to include both kinds of capacity development? It significantly increases the scope if so. What is WG1's mandate?

Unfortunately I will not be attending WWW, but I wish you a productive meeting.

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name sdavis who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, dorothee.spuhler

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth

Thank you for your input! You point out three relevant (strategic) questions the groups is currently dealing with:

1) Focus of WG1

Is our focus rather on "providing knowledge sharing and capacity development tools in order to foster capacity development of its members" or should it be more on "how to effectively develop capacity"?
My personal answer to this question would be BOTH. And the aim that WG1 has sets itself at the beginning still holds true:

"This working group aims to create a global network to strategically accelerate and influence the capacity development process in the sanitation sector."

The groups is constituted of members having a different focus within the range from "consumers" of capacity development and "providers". This provides a unique opportunity to learn from each other and improve the capacities on both sides :)

2) Activities of WG1

In order words, what are our key considerations.
You state a paragraph from the webpage (which, I agree, is quite lengthy and a has not been updated since a long time: it was set up by the secretariat based on the old SuSanA webpage and as it was never clear weather the new webpage is considered to be ready or not, I never tried to motivate the group to update this page).

Key considerations of the group are to foster knowledge management and knowledge sharing, to use open-source approaches for sharing of course materials, and to optimise the use of the opportunities offered nowadays by the internet for capacity development.

Personally, I do think even though the statement still holds true, it also needs to be updated in order to make sure, that it still fits with our current key considerations. For instance I would put the focus on innovative approaches using both, virtual approaches (e.g. online knowledge sharing, virtual campus, MOOC, etc.) but also on how to bring the wealth of knowledge effectively to where it is needed to reach the SDGs (e.g. training-of-trainers, business development support, international masterprogramms, regional knowledge nodes, etc.).

And 3) Updating the WG1 online descriptions and the factsheet on capacity development
I definitively agree, that we need to crosscheck whether the current group members still identify with the description of WG1 here on the SuSanA homepage .
Moreover, one of the aims of this year Working Group Meeting is to get together a group of members that are taking on the update of the WG1 Factsheet on capacity development. see here:

The idea is to collect our experiences on innovative and effective tools for capacity development at all levels and its relevance to reach the sustainable development goals. Online discussion forums and e-learning are definitively going to be key issues. But also regional knowledge management and sharing nodes to bring those tools more efficiently to where they are needed most urgently are of relevance.
The meeting might feed into a common factsheet on capacity development for sustainable sanitation that we can disseminate through SuSanA and use for influencing policy and raising funds for up-scaling our activities in this field.

So let us hope we will have time to share some of those thoughts in Stockholm.
In any case: I am really much looking forward to the this year WG1 meeting in Stockholm where we will have over 8 different members that will present all innovative approaches and tools for strategically to strategically accelerate and influence the capacity development process in the sanitation sector.

Cheers! Dorothee

The voting for the favorite reading will remain open another 5 weeks or so.
WG1 Co-lead

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds