Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! - 19-21 March to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement (WG9)

67.1k views

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
    Topic Author
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps

Dear Mohammed, Shiny, and Ecowaters Carol:

We need your expertise!

Please sign up to join on the SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon page here. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

The committee has made some how-to-videos that I find very helpful. This is a good page to bookmark and refer to while editing. www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0gMdVBup...-hIwDT1oeZd4mn-syMLm I find it quite hard to remember everything and am happy we don't have to.

It's evidence-based sustainable sanitation that works that we need. Working Group 9 is also interested in awareness materials, advocacy case studies, translation, videos in local languages and all the ways the info can reach the public.

Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • fppirco
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps

Dear Carol

Thank you for your notification , I am interested make an any contribution in Wikipedia improvement for public Awareness in wetland construction issue.

With best regards;

Mohammad Mojtabaei

wwww.fpp.ir
Researcher and consultant

• shiny
  • Shyni David Stephen

Yes. I'm interested.
Shyni David Stephen

• Carol McCreary
    Topic Author

Re: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps

Hi Caleb, Hi Joseph, Hi Shawn, Hi Anatassis, Hi Abby, Hi Jeremy, Hi Lekon, Hi Abdelrahman, Hi Chrispin, Hi, Satya, Hi Madhuri, Hi Yanti, Hi Patul, HI George, Hi Abdullahi, Hi Kareim, and a big HELLO to everyone else who’s joining the Edit-a-thon,

What a wonderful team of Wikipedia editors and translators we have from Working Group 9. Thank you for your encouraging messages, Caleb and Joseph. Yes, please reach out to the other team members so we can get to know one another.

It would be wonderful to know about the different kinds of collective expertise we have in this group. It’s really great that we have folks who can translate into Napali, Portuguese and Bahasa Indonesia. If translation will help you promote sustainable WASH in your country, please consider doing that. Everyone should start looking at Wikipedia articles in English and choose the most interesting, or the ones you’ll use in your work, or the ones that need to be brought up to date. (Some ideas are in my post of February 22)

I am not formally trained in sanitation. Just about everything I know I learned from the SuSanA Library and the Forum and by taking the free MOOC Planning and Design of Sanitation Systems and Technologies. I worked for many years as an English teacher and even published articles on grammar so I can be useful to the Edit-a-thon in that way. After I went back to university to train for a second career, I worked mostly in communications (especially health and HIV/AIDS) and training (especially community workshops in Participatory Project Design). After moving back to the US I was horrified at the lack of public toilets! And nobody was talking about the problem. It was taboo. So PHLUSH formed to talk about it. For World Toilet Day 2015 we put our learnings into the PHLUSH Public Toilet Advocacy Toolkit, which is available in the SuSanA Library and here. toolkit.phlush.org/ I’m really interested in your experiences of creating awareness, mobilizing communities and rallying the support of government officials.

Now here is a special Wikipedia “Meetup page” that the committee at SuSanA wrote just for you Edit-a-thon participants. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide It tells you how to Register with Wikipedia and get on the Participant List. My participant name is Cryacrem - that’s an anagram of my last name - McCreary. You can choose any name you like but it shouldn’t be your real name.

Now I’m going to read through the “Meetup page” and click on the links and watch the training videos to get ready for the Edit-a-thon. It also explains the different jobs you can choose - editing,doing research, finding images, translating etc. By the way, we’re writing the date as 19-21 March so everyone has 48 hours. Around the world. Around the clock.

I’m excited about my first Edit-a-thon and meeting all of you. Please stay in touch and share your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Carol

Carol McCreary

www.phlush.org
@PortlandPHLUSH Join PHLUSH on Facebook
Partner of the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance
Carol McCreary

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• Carol McCreary
    Topic Author

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement

Hi Liz,

Good to hear from you. Do you work with Dr. Mehra in Bharatpur? Looks like that's in Rajasthan. Must be beautiful. Is everyone getting ready to celebrate Holi?

Here is a special "Meetup page" on Wikipedia that the SuSanA committee wrote just for Edit-a-thon participants. It tells us what to do to get ready for the event. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

Carol
Carol McCreary

• lizkora

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement

Hi, I am Liz,
I am interested in taking part in this project which is aimed at improving info on Wikipedia.I received a response earlier but that message was mistakenly addressed to Dr. Mehtra.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Madhuri
  • WASH Promoter

Hello,

Yes, I am interested to awareness raising in community special for women as safe drinking water and translatation in nepali.

Madhuri B.K
Nepal-WASH promoter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Peopleserve
  • Registered NGO whose mission is to empower women and children fight poverty. We do this by addressing underlying causes of poverty. Lack of clean water is one such cause of poverty

Re: RE: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps

Dear Carol,

Greetings from Malawi, the ‘Warm Heart of Africa!’

I hope this mail finds you well. Thank you for the links you provided in line with the SuSanA Wikipedia-a-thon for World Water Day. Pleasure is mine and I feel honored to participate in the event, especially that I have the opportunity to contribute my expertise. Likewise, I am sure that there is a lot that I am going to learn from my participation!

I would be happy to link up with everyone in this conversation thread so that we can keep the momentum!

Kindest regards

Caleb C. Ng’ombo,
Executive Director,
People Serving Girls At Risk,
P.O. Box 1841,
Blantyre – Malawi

www.peopleserving.webs.com
www.facebook.com/peopleservinggirlsatrisk
Twitter @PSGRBlantyre
skype Id: people.serve
Empowering lives - one at a time
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, DianeKellogg

• JosephHeho

Thanks Carol,

I believe this will be much fun and also a learning curve as we all share out expertise in our respective areas

Thanks and looking forward to work with you all

Best,

*Joseph Heho *| *Program Manager* | *ZanaAfrica.org*

• dwipayanti

I am interested too. And I can help to translate the material into Bahasa Indonesia

Cheers
Yanti

• thakurputul

Re: RE: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon

Hi,

I am interested for Edit-athon.

Regards,
Putul Thakur
PSI

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Abdullahi Nor Mohamed (handsorg21),

You asked:

Is this project Eligible / available our local area or only international

This initiative is asking anyone to get involved, whereever you are. You do have to have some sort of internet access though. And please note that this activity is not paid. Wikipedia editing, just like contributing to SuSanA, is a voluntary activity that is not paid but will benefit you and everyone else in the longer term, we hope.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds