“The ambitions you want for sanitation should be the ones you want for yourself" - Quote from The United Nations Deputy Secretary General Amina J Mohammed

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: “The ambitions you want for sanitation should be the ones you want for yourself,"

Naaa, I am not sure I really agree with the statement from the video: "let's give them the toilets that we use - that's really the ideal".

Really? Many of us wealthy people use flush toilets connected to a sewer system. But is this necessarily "the ideal"? We shouldn't think of technology but of function. That was Bill Gates' idea with "reinventing the toilet", to come up with something better than the flush toilets we have now which are so expensive and so wasteful...

How about rather: "let's ensure they (the poor) can afford a toilet that they like and which is pleasant to us".
(saying "let's give them" is also wrong in my opinion, as it cements the donor - beneficiary relationship rather than business - client).

I do agree that simple pit latrines are usually not what people want, not aspirational and not all that desirable (unless perhaps with a SaTo pan!!). Having a toilet outside of your own house is unlikely to be all the appealing. We all want one right next to our bedroom, don't we? But it doesn't necessarily have to be a flush toilet.

I do like the thinking though of promoting sanitation/hygiene products that we would like to buy for ourselves. To give an example from the menstrual hygiene field: That's why I find e.g. menstrual cups or the new high-tech period panties (see here ) easier to promote than e.g. reusable sanitary pads.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Marijn Zandee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: “The ambitions you want for sanitation should be the ones you want for yourself,"

However, with current tech. that might be unaffordable for many even with reasonable subsidies. I wouldn’t mind using something like the Sato pan though I guess :)

• Doreen
    Topic Author

“The ambitions you want for sanitation should be the ones you want for yourself,"

Dear All,

I just thought I would leave this here. Quote from The United Nations Deputy Secretary General Amina J Mohammed.

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Marijn Zandee, JKMakowka, indiebio

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds