Mobilising private capital for WASH

Page selection:
  • paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Mobilising private capital for WASH

Dear forum users,
Came across this blog  that I thought may interest some. I am sharing some points from the blog below to elicit a discussion.
  • Attracting private capital is key to achieving SDGs but efforts towards this end are yet to see success. Currently, there is not a single instrument that has facilitated a significant and sustainable flow of private capital 
  • Though channels are created and funds pledged, they often don't materialise due to lack of technical and financial efficiency at the service provider level and/or lack of transparency. This is the first thing that needs to be turned around.
  • Such turnarounds need time and require long-term commitments from all the stakeholders be it governments, communities, and citizens. 
  • Domestic private capital should be prioritised to sidestep risks of currency depreciation. 
  • Build investor confidence by robust arrangements for paying back and timely repayments as financial health of utilities improve. 
I'd invite members to share cases of successful mobilisation of private capital, and successful and unsuccessful repayments in WASH.

Further, the article suggests prioritizing investments that have a rapid impact, such as reducing non-revenue water and improving energy efficiency. While this is correct in theory, I am not sure I've come across any case where such a strategy has been deployed successfully. If you happen to know or come across such a case, please do share. 

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds