Question: do you still have the table with produced and needed N,P,K - what you need = what you excrete?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Question: do you still have the table with produced and needed N,P,K - what you need = what you excrete?

Hi Mariska,
Nice to read from you! It feels like a lifetime ago that we worked together at UNESCO-IHE in Delft and I was doing those online courses on ecosan, well before online courses and video conferencing became the norm. :-) I have moved on a bit from the sanitation sector so I am not a regular forum reader anymore but thank you to Elka Villarroel for alerting me to this post.

That statement of nutrients excreted = nutrients consumed probably came from those publications by Ecosanres, i.e. Hakan Jönsson and alike, such as this one:
Joensson, H., Richert Stintzing, A., Vinneras, B., Salomon, E. (2004). Guidelines on the Use of Urine and Faeces in Crop Production . Stockholm Environment Institute, Sweden

But I agree with you there is likely more updated publications on this available by now. If I was going to search for them, I would probably go to the SuSanA library and filter for "urine reuse" which gives me this: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...l_6%5B26%5D=26&test=

For a quick overview of the topic I also like to point people to the relevant Wikipedia articles:
Reuse of human excreta: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuse_of_human_excreta
The main Wikipedia article on urine refers to it as well: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#Fertilizer
(if any of this Wikipedia could do with updates, please go ahead)

Hope this helps a little bit. All the best,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Question: do you still have the table with produced and needed N,P,K - what you need = what you excrete?

Dear Mariska,

I think this is all spelled out in the Ecological Sanitation book available from ecosanres.org.

Good luck with that presentation.

Best wishes,
Chris 
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: mariskaronteltap

• mariskaronteltap
  • Topic Author

Question: do you still have the table with produced and needed N,P,K - what you need = what you excrete?

Dear all,

A question. I need to talk to the board of our water authority about the need to recover nutrients and other elements from the water cycle.

I thought to open with a bald eye-opener, and wanted to show the table Elisabeth von Muench put many years ago in her ECOSAN online course at IHE Delft, where we worked together for a few years. That table conveyed the message: what you need = what you excrete. Based on consuming  2000 kcal daily per person, provided in the form of e.g. barley, how much fertiliser would that require? And in the table you could see that that matches very nicely with the amount we as humans excrete per person. 

Now this dates back to 2007-2012, I don't have that immediately recoverable on my computer anymore. But you may still be teaching with it, have created an update, ... anything that gives me that overview, I'd much appreciate it if you could share it with me. 

Wishing all you sanitation fans a nice weekend, take care
Mariska

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds