Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

Dear Hope,
Thanks for your forum post. You mentioned that the information would be available in December. Is that under the same URL that you posted above? Nice presentation!

About this statement:

Vaccines against ETEC and Shigella are currently in development. If they become available and are introduced in an integrated approach with oral rehydration solution, zinc, and improvements in water, hygiene, sanitation, and nutrition, they would have the potential to not only prevent deaths but also alleviate the burden due to long-term consequences of infections...

I wonder if you have a handle on the relative cost-benefit of the different interventions, in particular the possible vaccinations. Could a new vaccination lead to the danger of neglecting sanitation interventions as the vaccination works against those particular two diseases? Or will this always be delivered hand in hand? (I don't want to open a can of worms about vaccinations here, don't worry)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Hope

Hi John,

We're frequently on the hunt for this kind of resource as well, and recently came across this study from Malawi which has hard numbers: www.defeatdd.org/published-research/econ...ilies-and-healthcare

We have a data visualization on DALYs related ETEC and Shigella diarrhea. We worked with unpublished data to produce the piece and we're hoping it will be available in December: www.defeatdd.org/cascading-burden/

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Hope
www.DefeatDD.org
Hope Randall
Digital Communications Officer
PATH
Address: 455 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20001 USA
Tel: 202-822-0033
Web: www.defeatDD.org
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear John,
I can't quite picture what you are looking for. Maybe you could share with us what you have already found (at the global level?) and this might trigger some further responses.
And why single out diarrhea and not also other sanitation related diseases like helminthiasis (intestinal worms)? There is probably a malnutrition aspect as well. Probably really hard to delineate these different health issues.

The Wikipedia article about diarrhea is pretty good and might provide a pointer or two (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarrhea), the word "cost" comes up a few times (use control+F to find it) but more could be added.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• johnmbarbee
  • Topic Author

Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

I am doing some research on behalf of a client to isolate some good methods and research on the cost of diarrheal disease at the household level--expressed in money but also in something like DALYs. I have found some information at a global level but not at the scale that I am looking at. If you have any insights or links to a body of research on this topic, I would greatly appreciate the input!

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds