MHM & Climate Action: A Holistic Approach to Sustainability

Page selection:
  • Taizyacadev
    Topic Author
  • The SDG Advocate, Development Expert, INTERESTED IN LEVERAGING A VAST MULTIDISPLINARY APPROACH TO DRIVE POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT OUTCOMES.

Re: MHM & Climate Action: A Holistic Approach to Sustainability

Dear  Elka, 

Thank you for your thoughtful message. It’s heartening to know that our discussions are fostering an exchange of experiences and perspectives across different regions.

While it seems that discussions about this topic are more prevalent in Africa, I believe that sharing insights from diverse geographical contexts can enrich our understanding and inspire innovative solutions worldwide. Your eagerness to learn from experiences in other regions is commendable, and I am equally eager to learn from your perspective and insights in Latin America.

I will certainly make it a priority to keep you informed about the progress and advancements we make in this crucial area. Here’s to fostering a global dialogue and collaborating to create a more sustainable and inclusive future for all.

Best regards,
Taizya 
RHR EXPERT | The SDG GUY |Development Expert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Taizyacadev
    Topic Author
  • The SDG Advocate, Development Expert, INTERESTED IN LEVERAGING A VAST MULTIDISPLINARY APPROACH TO DRIVE POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT OUTCOMES.

Dear Alison,
Thank you for sharing your insightful perspective on the importance of safe disposal of menstrual waste and the advancements being made by Biomass Controls PBC. It's encouraging to learn about the work your organization is doing to develop sustainable solutions in the domain of absorbent hygiene products.I greatly appreciate your mention of the ISO committee (ISO TC 338) dedicated to addressing menstrual products. It indeed sounds like an exciting initiative that aligns with the growing interest in sustainable practices within this field. Collaboration and shared interests are integral to driving meaningful change, and I would be delighted to connect further to explore potential synergies in our efforts.Looking forward to exchanging ideas and insights as we continue to contribute to this crucial area of sustainable development.Best regards,Taizya.

• alisonweber

Dear Taizy,

Thank you for kicking off this important discussion! It sounds like CaDev is doing some wonderful work. I have been doing work to advance safe disposal of used menstrual products for a few years, and frequently collaborate with Arundati Muralidharan on topics of sustainability and safe disposal.

My organization, Biomass Controls PBC, has been charged with developing technology to safely dispose of menstrual waste, as we know that use of disposable products will continue (and likely increase) even alongside adoption of reusable methods. We have been working with a few different manufacturers pursuing sustainable absorbent hygiene product solutions (diapers, menstrual pads, incontinence pads, and others), and agree that interest is growing in this area!

There is also an ISO committee (ISO TC 338) newly formed addressing menstrual products, which may be of interest to you.

I'd be happy to connect about our shared interest!
Alison

• elka
  • Agrónoma con especialidad en GIRH y MIC, trabajando como investigadora y coordinadora de proyectos más de 20 años en temas del agua principalmente las áreas rurales. Temas de especial interés son la gobernanza del agua, gestión local del agua y el territorio y las diversas formas y derechos de acceso al agua de riego y uso doméstico

Dear Taizy

It is great to hear your compromise and enthusiasm in this important topic. I have to say that I find more discussions, experiences and references to this topic in Africa. In Latinamerica we barely hear any experiences on this topic. So it is good for us to learn from the experiences in your region.

Hope you will keep us updated with your advances

Regards
Elka Villarroel
SuSanA Latinoamerica Forum Moderator
AGUATUYA (SKAT Foundation financial support SIRWASH 2023)

Calle Nicolás Ortiz no. 33 (a media cuadra de la Av. Calampampa)
Tel (591) 4 424 2164 Casilla 6264
Cochabamba – Bolivia

Siguenos:
www.susana.org/en/mailinglist-latinoamerica
www.aguatuya.org
www.facebook.com/aguatuya
The following user(s) like this post: alisonweber, germaniersusanna

• Taizyacadev
    Topic Author

MHM & Climate Action: A Holistic Approach to Sustainability

In today’s world, advocating for, MHM, and Climate change is not just a responsibility; it is a passion that drives change. Being privileged to work with CaDev helps me to advocate for SRHR (MHM) to a wider network and also be able to build my capacity. Probably you’re
wondering what is CaDev? www.linkedin.com/company/cadev-capacity-development/, CaDev is social enterprise founded on the belief that strong local capacities offer the best solutions for sustainable and inclusive growth and development it focuses on
various spaces including CAPACITY DEVELOPMET CONSULTANCY, WASH, CLIMATE CHANGE, AGRIBUSINESS, SRHR, PUBLIC HEALTH
and GENDER.

As a SRHR expert and staunch MHM advocate, my journey has been defined by a deep commitment to improving the lives of women and
the environment through advocacy. MHM (Menstrual Hygiene Management) can affect climate change indirectly through the production and disposal of non-biodegradable menstrual products.
 1. Non-biodegradable products can be a cause of climate change and deeply affect the environment. Many menstrual products are non-biodegradable, leading to long-lasting environment pollution.
2.  Plastic pollution, some menstrual products contain plastic, which can end up in oceans, harming marine ecosystem and contributing to climate change.
3. Disposable pads and tampons contribute to waste generation and if not properly handled leads to an increase in solid waste.

As a young SRHR expert trying to find solutions to address these effects, I believe we ought to promote eco-friendly menstrual products, such as reusable cloth pads and menstrual cups which reduce waste and carbon emissions associated with disposable options. Additionally, sustainable disposal methods’, like composting sanitary waste can help address the environmental impact of MHM. Climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts often require awareness and education at the grassroots level. Integrating MHM education into climate change awareness campaigns can empower women and girls to make informed choices regarding menstrual hygiene and its environmental impact. Through my work as Project Associate at CaDev_capacity Development ,I have managed to connect with people like

Chirag B. Virani www.linkedin.com/in/chirag-b-virani/ who is the founder of sparkle innovation sparkle.life/products/bamboo-sanitary-pads a company that deals in  period products industry by  offering healthy, sustainable and innovative products made from organic, bio-based or up-cycled materials derived from renewable resources to ensure their products can biodegrade quickly after disposal and go back to nature without leaving any toxic residue.

From this example I am confident to say MHM is also a relevant factor to consider in the topic of addressing climate change. What other examples of climate-friendly MHM are out there? Looking forward to hearing from you on your thoughts about climate change integration with MHM. 
The following user(s) like this post: AlexandraDubois, alisonweber

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds